“The only balanced diet you can ever have is when you have desserts in both hands.”
For the love of desserts and healthy food, let’s put a healthy and tasty twist to a classic dessert.
Watching Vikas Khanna’s Persimmon Chili Cobbler recipe, I decided to make a healthy dessert. And no desert is ever complete without chocolate. I REPEAT, NO DESERT IS EVER COMPLETE WITHOUT CHOCOLATE.
For my #Foodventure I decided to throw in some dark chocolate, oats, my favourite- peanut butter and some chilies (YES I SAID CHILIES); and make chili chocolate bars. Chilies and chocolate bring out each other’s richness.
2/3 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used the crunchy one)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp chili powder (You can also try other forms of chilies)
1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt ( optional and to taste)
3 cups quick cook oats (I used Quaker oats)
1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Line a pan with aluminium foil, spray with cooking spray/butter; set aside.
- Combine corn syrup, peanut butter, brown sugar, and heat for 2 minutes
- Add vanilla, cocoa, optional salt, and whisk to mix.
- Add oats and stir.
- Add 3/4 cup chocolate chips and stir to combine. The mixture is warm and chips will likely begin to melt, which is okay but the less stirring, the less melting. Reserve remaining 1/4 cup chips.
- Put the mixture into prepared pan (Step 1) and pack it down with a spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips and very lightly tap them down with a spatula.
- Cover pan with a sheet of foil and place pan in the freezer for at least 1 hour. Check if the bars have set up, if not, keep it for longer.
- Once the mixture has set up, cut it into bars.
- Wrap them in plastic wraps and store in refrigerator.
(Yields: 10 granola bars)
This recipe is high on protein, fiber and antioxidants; and will make the perfect mid meal munchie.
Time to become adventurous and share your #foodventure recipe with us, and you could get a chance to be in a #Foodventure video with either Vikas Khanna or Vir Sanghvi!
Which is your favourite dessert with a twist? Head to foodventures.diningdelights.in and tell us. Like I always say, eat healthy! But with a twist this time. J