GROCERY SHOPPING ON A LOW BUDGET
People generally mistake healthy eating with protein bars and all the fancy veggies that cost a bomb! I do invest in these but only a very small part of my budget. Also, eating on a budget doesn’t mean your meals have to be boring.
It’s easy to shop healthy on a low budget. Here are some tips on how you can cut your spending:
- Plan: Plan your meals one week in advance and make sure that you have enough carbohydrates, protein and dairy in your plan. We generally tend to pick up anything and everything thinking we’ll use it in some way or the other. Be rational and think of all the spoiled veggies that go in the dustbin every week. When you plan and go, you’ll end up picking what you need and you’ll obviously save money. Also, when you know what you want to have on a Monday afternoon, you won’t end up browsing Food Panda, thinking what to eat. It’s very important to know what you want.
- Shop seasonal: When buying fruits and vegetables, it’s important to shop seasonal. Local & seasonal produce is full of flavour and abundant in nutrients, and pretty light on pocket. How about a family trip to a nearby farmers market?
- Shop smart: Look for discounts. There are so many grocery apps like- Grofers, Pepper Tap, etc that offers discounts on food every day. They are surely my new personal favourite.
For days when you are broke, following are some foods that’ll make you feel better. They are full of nutrients and won’t burn a hole in your pocket:
- Bananas– Cheapest and one of the best sources of protein! Need some instant energy after that tiring meeting? Bananas are the power house of energy and are the perfect mini meal. They are loaded with nutrients
2. Peanuts– Easy to store, rich in mono saturated fats & reservatol (The same nutrient has made wine gain its healthy reputation), peanuts are one of the most underrated food item. Chew on a handful and satiate your hunger. They’ll keep you feeling full for longer.
3. Eggs– Eggs contain all the nine essential amino acids & are rich in other nutrients as well. That and they are the most versatile thing ever. You can have them with literally everything
4. Cucumber- Everyone knows about the hydrating properties of cucumber but they have a lot more to offer. Full of fiber and water, they improve digestion, help ease anxiety and damaging effects of stress (the latter two due to high levels of vitamin B)
5. Yogurt- High on protein and carbohydrates, yogurt is an all-star food, especially when you are on a low budget. And it helps speed up the process of weight loss. Do I need to say more?
Shopping for groceries is one of my favourite things to do. It helps me unwind. What about you?
Hi! I am Deepika Khosla! A health and fitness enthusiast who believes that life is too short to find amazing clothes for XL size. But then who wants to starve? I share easy tips and tricks to keep your body fit and toned!