Recipe: Beetroot Hummus
Who doesn’t love hummus? The texture and the richness of flavours. Oh and the versatility- which actually got me to add beetroots and create beetroot hummus.
Last weekend, while it was pouring I decided to sit at home (read: trying to live the slow life) and whip some healthy ingredients together, with some minor tweaks which were not so minor once I saw the outcome. I had beetroot in the fridge and decided the try a variation. I was very skeptical about the idea of these vastly different flavours coming together but then this pretty pink beauty turned out crazy stupid delicious.
I like Hummus but then the people in my life LOVE Hummus and hence get me to whip this beauty often. One batch and I can use it for breakfast, pack mid meals, use it on salads. It sorts the weekly meal plan a lot.
You can adjust the ingredients as per your liking, because it’s perfect in every way.
- Chickpeas (Channa)- Soaked in water overnight, drained and boiled: 1 Cup
- Beetroot- 1 medium sized- roasted or cooked
- Garlic cloves- 3-4 Minced (2 Garlic cloves would do but since I like my hummus extra garlicy, I add more)-
- Tahini- 2 heaping tbsps
- Extra virgin olive oil- ¼ cup (Keep some extra olive oil handy)
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- Juice of 2 medium sized lemons
- Salt & black pepper- as per taste
- Dry red chili- 1/Chili flakes (As per taste) (Optional)
- Boil the beetroot till it becomes soft. If you can easily insert a fork inside it, it’s cooked.
- Cool, peel and cut the beetroot. Place it in a food processor and blend. Small pieces will remain, but don’t worry about it.
- Throw in the chickpeas, minced garlic, dried red chill whole, tahini, lemon zest and lemon juice in the blender. Blend.
- Sprinkle salt, black pepper, some olive oil and blend again.
- Check the taste and adjust.
- Add more olive oil if it feels dry.
Add 1 tsp of olive oil before storing to keep it creamy.
Keeps well for 4-5 days.
It is super rich in protein, good fats and carbohydrates.
Share pictures if you try this! J
Thanks for reading.
Hi! I am Deepika Khosla! A health and fitness enthusiast who believes that life is too short to find amazing clothes for XL size. But then who wants to starve? I share easy tips and tricks to keep your body fit and toned!